Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Emergency help (opinions) needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency help (opinions) needed

1977 2WD, 20r/22r Hybrid with a 20r carb.

On my way to work today I stopped off at the bank ATM to grab some cash. Up to this point the truck's running fine. Fired on the first crank, running smooth, no problems.

Upon leaving the banks parking lot, she starts to 'hang' (slight momentary loss of power) ever so slightly. Then it gets worse to the point where I can hardly keep it running let alone go anywhere. So I manage to limp it into another parking lot under a light so I can see whats going on under the hood. (at this point it's about 3:30 AM)

As I pull to a stop I realized that she's idling just fine. So I'm thinking 'ok....not a spark problem'. Pop the hood, and get out to take a peek, thinking fuel level problems. Nope. FL is spot on. I give it some gas and although the accellerator pump works, the engine wants to die.

WILL NOT STAY RUNNING WITH THE ACCELLERATOR ENGAGED EVEN SLIGHTLY. I managed to limp her home (~5 miles) by 'pumping' fuel into the carb via the AP and some fancy clutchwork.

SO....now to the gist of things. It seems to me that the problem is definately fuel supply related, and since the fuel level holds good even when I rev it up (via multiple AP jabs) that means the pump and filter are 'OK'. (the filter could probbably use a change, but at least it's not preventing the bowl from filling)

It's seems I have some blocked passages in the 'power' circuits of the carburator, so it looks like I'm going to go for my Weber swap today. However I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that would have any insight into anything else that would be causing this problem.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like the accelerator pump on the carb has gone bad.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just as an idea, but i had the exact same symptoms when my timing chain slipped. It was all i could do to keep it running to get it home. I don't recal it having the issue with pushing on the gas as much, but it was a while ago.

Thought i'd mention it as something to check if your other repairs don't fix the problem.