Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

door locks and ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door locks and ignition cylinder

I was wondering if anybody knows where i could get a new matching set of keys for the 1st gen trucks? I don't have the door keys and the ignition is acting up. I would like to get a new set of keys so i don't have to sorry quite as much about getting my truck stolen.

I can't seem to find anything online, and don't know what retailers are selling the correct set to fit my rig.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 PM

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FZNsfgodlywACQ

Is this the correct one? Looks right, but why would it be limited to '82 and '83?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM

Looks like the Solex locks might not be all they are cracked up to be. I am thinking that i may just get this set off ebay unless anybody has any suggestions, or a reason these would not work for some reason.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Not everything is the same among 1st gen trucks, but what you found appears to be correct. Also, finding a new matching set is pretty much impossible unless you visit the junk yard, but certainly let me know if you do because I would like to have one less key on my key chain.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM

Find a quality or OEM ignition assembly with a matching key, and have the door locks matched to the key by a locksmith.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 PM

I've recently found a seller on EBay selling full sets with a pair of keys.Two door and ignition. Let us know what you went with.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by FloridaHiluxGuy
I've recently found a seller on EBay selling full sets with a pair of keys.Two door and ignition. Let us know what you went with.

Got a link? I would love to get a matching set if they are the right ones.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:45 AM

I replaced the ignition cylinder in my truck thinking I would need to carry around keys for both doors and ignition, and the new keys still open my doors. I don't know why or how that happened, nor how likely it is.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the key to my 83 would have unlocked and started your truck, too... I don't think they were too worried about it back then.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM

I am in the same boat as 1st Gen Crawler. I have a 1986 4Runner SR5 and I can only find poorly made ignition key cylinders and door sets. I have a friend who is a locksmith so I can easily get my cylinders key'ed to the same code, however I can't find any cylinder's of quality. I've found a guy on ebay "sixstarbernie" who sells the uncut master key for our generation trucks... even has the listing of all of the different applications, however I need new key cylinders. I'm also having an issue locating the key code for my 4Runner on the passenger door. this is becoming a huge pain in the butt!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by paynemw
I am in the same boat as 1st Gen Crawler. I have a 1986 4Runner SR5 and I can only find poorly made ignition key cylinders and door sets. I have a friend who is a locksmith so I can easily get my cylinders key'ed to the same code, however I can't find any cylinder's of quality. I've found a guy on ebay "sixstarbernie" who sells the uncut master key for our generation trucks... even has the listing of all of the different applications, however I need new key cylinders. I'm also having an issue locating the key code for my 4Runner on the passenger door. this is becoming a huge pain in the butt!
I actually got a good set of aftermarket door lock cylinders from Advance Auto Parts. I have no complaints so far with their quality. If you are going to have a locksmith re-key your cylinders to match, I would recommend having the ignition cylinder re-keyed to match the doors. The reason being is that to re-key the doors it would required removing the outer cover of the door cylinders which looks like crap after it is re-installed. Eventually, I plan on re-keying my ignition cylinder to match my doors, but I just haven't got around to having it done.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Key Code

Originally Posted by kawazx636
I actually got a good set of aftermarket door lock cylinders from Advance Auto Parts. I have no complaints so far with their quality. If you are going to have a locksmith re-key your cylinders to match, I would recommend having the ignition cylinder re-keyed to match the doors. The reason being is that to re-key the doors it would required removing the outer cover of the door cylinders which looks like crap after it is re-installed. Eventually, I plan on re-keying my ignition cylinder to match my doors, but I just haven't got around to having it done.
What my GOAL is... is to re-key everything to the passenger side / rear tailgate window cylinder and I will key everything to code. HOWEVER, when I went to take apart my passenger side door to look at my window regulator/motor, I tried to eye the code. I couldn't find it.

One of my issues is that the mechanism on driver door doesn't rotate correctly and I have to push the key in at JUST the right angle to get it to work.

I also purchased OEM blank keys for 1984-1987 Toyota Trucks and 4Runners.... 4x total. Then i purchased Standard Motor Products "Intermotor" brand replacement ignition assembly and door lock assemblies. My buddy let me know he's gonna help me do this and we'll stick to staying with the key code... if I can find it.