YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Pre 84 Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

'82 pickup voltage/charging problem

I have been having quite a problem trying to figure out why my charging system in my 1982 toyota pickup is not working correctly.

I've already had a problem with my battery slowly discharging and having it die on me twice. After running my truck in idle and even revving it a bit when i test it with a meter the battery is at most gotten to 11.97 volts and will slowly drain over time. Thus not getting to the 13.8-14.8 criteria

I have replaced my external regulator today and still no help dissappointingly. I also replaced my alternator probably a good 3 months ago and quite hesitant in pulling that stupid thing off till its the last resort and i try all my other solutions. All my fuses are good, and i know my battery is fine since i have taken it out and checked it with a meter over time to see if it was bad or not.

Im just about to make sure all my connections are solid and not corroded and figure i would hopefully get some advice from a more experienced person then myself (first yota i've owned). I can some pictures of any certain area if you feel it will help.

BTW i have the 22r engine if that matters at all. Thanks again for your time and looking forward to any possible help
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by gunbarrar; 04-15-2011 at 03:13 PM.
gunbarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #2

Did the charging system work after installing the new alt and then quit again ? Did you have a load test done on the battery or just check it with a volt/ohm meter ?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Yes the charging system had worked fine on up to about 3 days ago so a good solid 3 months. I was using my truck to drive to work in the snow and it would sit generally for a solid 8 hours and countless nights without being checked on and would start right up when i needed it. As far as a load test do you mean if i would run accessories while running the truck? i just checked my volts before i did a 5 minute drive and it was 12.23 and i went out, used my lights, turned on my radio, and put brights on for a couple minutes and came back and checked it and it lowered to 12.03. Definitely not fixed since i had changed out the old regulator today. Any better things i could do for a load test or is that what you meant? Thanks for your reply

Also, is there a way to check my alternator output without actually taking it off? I'm sure this has already been asked but i can't seem to find a direct answer and it would save me a great deal amount of effort.

Last edited by gunbarrar; 04-15-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

Take your battery to AutoZone or similar auto parts store and get it "load tested". It sounds fried to me.

1982 Trekker - 143K miles, 22R w/ Weber 32/36, 261 Crawler cam from Engnbldr, Hooker header & 2" exhaust, 4.88s, Aussie'd front,
spooled rear, 33x10.50x15 KM2s, 3" suspension.

My Trekker build is here
Gov't Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Is it possible for my battery to be fried even if it will stay at the exact voltage it was since the last time i had driven it? for example it is staying at 12.03 since my last post, so its not charging, but i can also get it fully charged off a wall charger and slap it back in and it will, over time, be drained the more i drive it. Thanks for your input aswell
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

sounds like a "sticky" brush holder in the alt ..

86 4x4 , fiberglass bed , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come .
84 2WD "hotrod" Intercooled 7MGTE CURRENT PROJECT
83 Trekker SR5 DONE June 2011
2WD fourm I frequent
NEW Trekker forum
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

Ah well seems ive checked out pretty much everything else it seems i will have to end up checking out the alternator as much as i didnt want to. haha. Will let you guys know the outcome tomorrow and post some pics up of my truck.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #8

So it resulted in being the alternator, what do ya know! the good thing is it was quite fast taking it out and running it on a bench test at the nearest napa store, picked up a new one with a lifetime warranty for 45 bucks, and put it in within the hour it was running like a champ! thanks again for all your guys input. Now its time for my small projects, new paintjob, power steering, and some minor enterior work. other than that i am very satisfied. was going to take pictures today but im in oregon and it is straight downpouring so ill save that for another day. Also glad i found this forum and its great wealth of knowledge.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #9

Click the image to open in full size.

As i promised. not to bad for my first yota, although the antique eggshell white paint is the hardest to find in any hardware store anywhere for some reason . grrr
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #10

jason freudigmann
Send a message via ICQ to jason191918 Send a message via AIM to jason191918 Send a message via MSN to jason191918 Send a message via Yahoo to jason191918
is "enterior" both interior and exterior?

nice truck!

1992 Pickup V6, 4x4, 5 speed, SR5, 300,000 miles young, every option except automatic tranny

31x10.5R15 | K&N FIPK | Cherry Bomb | 3" BL | 4 110W KC Light Bar | 6'6" Western Plow | 800W 10" Sony | 850W Sound Storm | 2 4" Obcon | 4 1" Rockford Fosgate Tweeters | 2 High Pass Crossovers | 2 High-Low Pass Crossovers | 2 6.5" Rockford Fosgate | Pioneer 4x50W Head Unit | Mechanical Oil Pressure Gage | Lack of EGR | Blinker Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvota View Post

Jason is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon1213 View Post
Jason rocks!!! :banger:
jason191918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #11

haha, yeah thanks for the ensight. I have had no luck finding the paint to touch up the outside, and cannot even have a place order the kind i need, so im figuring on renting an electric sander, and repainting the truck. Only to find out when is the best time since afterall it seems to rain 4 days outta the week here.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1982, 82, 87, alternator, battery, charge, charging, fuse, pickup, power, replaced, system, toyota, truck, wiring