Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Champ's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Champ's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

I am starting my to build my new to me 81. I figured since i was doing this I would also create a build thread. I would appreciate any advice or input along the way... My first project was to figure out the idle/dying problem I was having. I have a guy rebulding my carb since I dont really know enough to just dig into that. Then we will be going through and checking all my vacuum lines to make sure they are in the correct order.....So I wasnt planning on starting with the looks of the truck this soon, but while i was knocking a small dent out of the bed some crappy body work became apparent when a huge chunk of bondo flopped off and landed at my feet!! WTH.. So i started to sand the truck, fix the body work, use etching primer and filler primer then prep it for herculiner. Then I am going to two tone the truck coyote tan(bottom) and olive drab(top). What do yall think? This will allow the hard rough surface of the bedliner as well as a good paint scheme. Here are a few pictures from this weekend. Truck is already herculined but will have to take pics. Going to wait till this weekend to two tone it probably.

Last edited by Champ; 08-28-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 AM

Got my carb back late last night. So I will be reinstalling it on Wed, hopefully that will take care of the stalling issues I keep having. If not I am gonna have to start chasing down some vacuum lines and go from there. Still havent had a chance to take pics of the truck since i put the bedliner on but i will get that done on Wed as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice looking truck, I love the first gens. I really like them in that blue color but I think your tan/olive drab will look good. Keep updating.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it. I do just wish that the people before me didnt have that mentality that oh its just for crawlin. They did some really half a** jobs that I am having to fix. I am gonna do mostly crawling with it but it doesnt mean that it should look like crap. I will def keep posting updates. I just ordered Marlins Knuckle rebuild kit. so when that gets here I will be starting that. My seals are leaking so until I do that I am afraid to take it crawlin, and since Im puttin the seals in figured might as well rebuild those kuckles. Should I go ahead and replace tie rod ends to since they show some wear?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say go ahead with it, they're pretty easy to change I'm pretty sure and pretty cheap, and bad tie rod ends can cause suspension problems, uneven tire wear, and bad wheel alignment. You should probably get a second opinion on here though because I'm a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff haha. good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

If you want this to be your "official" build-up thread I'd be happy to move it to the Pre 84 Build-Up Section for ya.

Fink
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Fink I would greatly appreciate that. I have not seen an official build section though. (NOOB) I know. Still learning to search the site. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Done.

Fink
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Good to have another '81 around...your gear selection seems a lot like mine

I know that converting to high steer is a lot more expensive than just replacing some tie rods (about $400-500 to convert when all is said and done) but your truck will drive so much better if you can rid of the stock push pull steering.

High steer and the V-6 caliper/LC vented rotor brake upgrades are probably two of the best things I have done to my truck.

Look forward to seeing how this thing progresses
Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Good to have another '81 around...your gear selection seems a lot like mine

I know that converting to high steer is a lot more expensive than just replacing some tie rods (about $400-500 to convert when all is said and done) but your truck will drive so much better if you can rid of the stock push pull steering.

High steer and the V-6 caliper/LC vented rotor brake upgrades are probably two of the best things I have done to my truck.
Its got the high steer on it though I probably need to see about the v6 calipers!
Look forward to seeing how this thing progresses
Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 AM

So here are some updates. I got the freshly rebuilt carb installed thursday morning. Checked all the vacuum hoses with the haynes manual(not the best schematic by the way) and got the butterflies to start it. Only problem was when i turned the key i got one pop at the starter.. YAY!! So I grabbed my other truck hooked the battery jumpers up just to ensure i didnt have a dead cell in the battery. I didnt so I pulled the starter out and tested it. It jumped and spun fine but after further thought i am figuring the bendix was going out which is why it didnt want to turn the flywheel. So I bought a new starter and installed it.

She then fired right up!! I got the carb dialed in and running super smooth at 900. Let it idle for 10-15 min no problem not even a hiccup. So I drove it about 30 min to pick up my daughter and when i returned to the truck it was doin the same thing as before wanting to die at every stop or when it was in nuetral. Spent all morning friday trying to figure that out and never did so I decided to finish painting.

On the way to work this morning the truck bogged down and backfired one good time and now it is ideling great and running great. Would that be my fuel filter and crap in the tank? If so, what do i do about junk in the tank?

Last edited by Champ; 08-28-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:47 AM

New Seats

Well just got off the phone with a guy who is gettin rid of two bucket racing seats that are 2 weeks old but his wife hates them. Gonna be going down when I get of work and picking them up for 100 for the both of them. Pretty good deal I think. Are these hard to make brakets for? Does any body have any experiance with them?
Attached Thumbnails Champ's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread-seats.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice i like the way your paint job looks great

and as ocdropzone said its good to have another 81 around lol
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Champ
Well just got off the phone with a guy who is gettin rid of two bucket racing seats that are 2 weeks old but his wife hates them. Gonna be going down when I get of work and picking them up for 100 for the both of them. Pretty good deal I think. Are these hard to make brakets for? Does any body have any experiance with them?
If you don't want to keep your old ones or sell them just use those brackets as a start.

Fink
Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

seats are in.

So my buddy and I fabbed up some brackets. Took a second to come up with an idea for the sliders to still work. I am pleased with the way they turned out.then I got started on my center console a 50 cal ammo can.I still have to weld up the cup holders and the front half of the console. Next up is makin a dash pad out of metal then to paint the inside.will post pics later.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that paint turned out sweeeet. are those 35x15.50s pn your truck like your sig says? man those look friggin huge! where in TN are you? im on the va/tn line
Old 08-28-2010, 03:33 AM

Thanks i really like the way it turned out. I was thinking about trying to keep the two tone on the inside but i painted one floor board tan and didnt like it. Gonna do black floors with Od green dash. I im working on mocking up my dash peices to start fabbing them. (Fingers crossed hoping that turns out). Yea they are 35X15.50s. Im just outside of knoxville. So your up around the Bristol area?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 AM

here are some updated pics of the interior. Not much will take better pics soon. Center console is a 50 cal ammo can that I made a hinge for so it would open like a regular console instead of lifting off completely. The grenade is an actuall WW2 Pineapple grenade that I had. For that all I did was take the plastic insert out of an old shifter nob I had cut it down and sand it till it could be tapped into the bottom hole of the grenade. Then I drilled the threads out where they had compressed when i tapped them into the grenade. Then screwed it down and glued the old 1st through R on there. The brackets were made to not only be able to mount the seats to the sliders but also to raise the seats up where they are a lower profile seat. Work great other than i have to raise and lower the column when getting in and out where the seats have the side protectors.

Last edited by Champ; 08-28-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice truck!!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by myyota85
very nice truck!!
Thank you! I'm learnin as I go so feel free to make suggestions.

Quick Reply: Champ's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread