YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Pre 84 Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

22R distributor vacuum advance diaphragm nipple interference

What is wrong with this picture?

Click the image to open in full size.

My vacuum advance hose is routed underneath the distributor's diaphragm, so I need to have it tied to the diaphragm (which kinks it) so it doesn't sit on the belt. I tried moving the distributor gear one tooth so the distributor is at more of an angle, so there is more of a clearance, but that changes the timing so much that I can't get it to run right at any range of adjustment. Yes, I even tried moving one tooth in the other direction just to see, to no avail.

I've been using it like this for a while, and it's been fine. However I finally have my Weber 38 jetted and tuned correctly (so it can actually run without choke; gotta love having manual choke!), so she really wants to be more advanced. Any more advanced than I am now, and I'll be rubbing MORE rubber off the advance hose.

I have also tried taking off the screw which holds in the diaphragm, to try to rotate the unit, but it didn't seem like it wanted to go. I didn't want to break anything either.

I wish I could return it, but it was bought in July 2011.

All of the other pictures I see show the nipples coming out of the side towards the carburetor; where they should be. I represented this in the above picture with the orange lines.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
trevorthetrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Why don't you just replace the advance diaphragm? I mean, you can get one, but will it fit? What kind of distributor is that? I got a OEM style replacement myself recently (Beck/Arnley or BWD), and it has the two standard vacuum connectors. How about taking the advance unit off your old distributor?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22r, 38, 87, 91, advance, diaphragm, distributor, fine, interference, lines, routing, run, toyota, tune, vacuum, weber