Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1983 4x4 front axle rebuild HELP!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 4x4 front axle rebuild HELP!

Ok Folks heres the deal. I ordered the Ultimate Solid Axle rebuild kit from LowRangeOffRoad.com 3 weeks ago and everything is installed except the brake shield eliminator kit, I kept the factory brake shield on. I'm going to be running the 31" Maxxis Treps which are bigger than factory tire size so I only installed 2 big shims per side. The knuckle bearing pre load was well past 20 lbs, SO I installed 4 shims per side and its around 18lbs now. 1st question should I just keep adding shims till the knuckle bearing pre load is around 15 or is there something else wrong?

2nd question
I went ahead and installed everything, installed the polyurethane knuckle seal and rock ring on the back of the knuckles and that made it even harder to move the knuckles side to side..is that normal? I dont think it is but this is my first toyota.

3rd question

Everything is installed now except the locking hubs...the Rotor will not free spin at all, I physically have to turn then and takes a considerable amount of effrort to get them to move. And when I do move them I hear a knocking sound inside the knuckle, if I take the Knuckle off and rotate the axles there is no sound..so something is going on with the knuckle...WTF OVER!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...ctures-223729/

Search this Thread