Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1981 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with wonky headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1981 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with wonky headlights

I just purchased a 1981 Toyota 4x4. It's been YEARS since I've owned a 79-83 style mini, and I'm having an issue with the hedlights. I was cruising up the interstate and the headlights started to flicker and then they went out. I could hear what seemed like a relay popping under the dash. About ten minutes later the lights came back on, but would flicker every so often for a few seconds but never go back out.

Is there a relay under the dash? If so, can a replacement be bought? I'm going to mess with it this weekend. Just trying to see what I'm going to be in for.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Most all the relays are under the dash and on the kick panels. The head light and tail light relays are side by side, to the right of the steering column as you look at the dash. The mounting bracket has the plugs integrated. when you remove both relays by pulling up the two tabs, then drop the bracket, you can check for corrosion.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lons81
Most all the relays are under the dash and on the kick panels. The head light and tail light relays are side by side, to the right of the steering column as you look at the dash. The mounting bracket has the plugs integrated. when you remove both relays by pulling up the two tabs, then drop the bracket, you can check for corrosion.
Ok. I will mess with it over the weekend. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Check the connection that goes right to the positive pole on the battery if it is stock. A flickering issue seems more like a bad connection than a bad relay, the relay will tick on/off if the current is applied then cut.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say it is likely a connection issue as well. I had some issues with mine awhile back from my battery knocking in to the connector. TG battery box fixed that issue.

Not trying to hijack, but have you considered an aftermarket solution? I sure would like to have brighter lights, or HIDs then film them yellow. I do a lot of fog/rain/snow driving.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
Check the connection that goes right to the positive pole on the battery if it is stock. A flickering issue seems more like a bad connection than a bad relay, the relay will tick on/off if the current is applied then cut.

I will definitely start there, and let you know how I make out.
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by 1st Gen Crawler
Not trying to hijack, but have you considered an aftermarket solution? I sure would like to have brighter lights, or HIDs then film them yellow. I do a lot of fog/rain/snow driving.
The halogens seem brighter than most other stock toys I've owned. I'm guessing the PO upgraded at some point.

I do love the amber look, but I was going to find a pair of the amber JDM PIAA style with the metal grating/guard. They go for crazy money on ebay, but every once in awhile you can score a set for under $100.

Last edited by 77lubr; 01-27-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
if wiring is still stock .. on the positive battery lead , there at 2 fuse links . 1 of them is directly related to your headlamps .. give the fuse links a "tug" if they pull apart , there toast

Old 12-01-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having the same problem in my 83 pickup. Pulled off my lead (couple inch long wire with green (fuse?) connector on the down side) and tested its resistance. It is fine if held in the right position, but goes bad when it is moved to a given position. My question is --Can one find this part through a local parts store, or is it a boneyard find. If it is a boneyard find, then can I pull one off say an 83 Cressida or an 88 Runner (that is all my local yard has at the moment Many thanks! Name of this part?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by coldhands
I was having the same problem in my 83 pickup. Pulled off my lead (couple inch long wire with green (fuse?) connector on the down side) and tested its resistance. It is fine if held in the right position, but goes bad when it is moved to a given position. My question is --Can one find this part through a local parts store, or is it a boneyard find. If it is a boneyard find, then can I pull one off say an 83 Cressida or an 88 Runner (that is all my local yard has at the moment Many thanks! Name of this part?
It's called a fusable link. You can bypass it if u want. That's what I did.