Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Where do you keep you hi lift jack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Where do you keep you hi lift jack?

I looked around and couldn't find much. Just post where you keep it. Trying to get some ideas.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
For now, ......

It will end up on my rack when I do longer trips(need every inch of space in the back when I camp and I'll have the rack on anyway during those trips... so the shovel and such will go up there).

I've also seen people with those tire carrier/jerry can holders with the hi-lift bolted to the bumper.

I think the back of the rig is probably one of the best simply due to the elements factor, ya know? Especially in the winter in some of the climates guys on here are living in ,ya know?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM

PS> 4crawler not only has a write up on this, I believe..... But he also sells a kit to keep it secured where I have it. Lots of build threads on here where I've seen em different places, too.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I keep mine in the living room next to the tool boxes

Most times when I get stuck it is in my driveway so it is only a short walk to get the jack. When the winch does not work.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> 4crawler not only has a write up on this, I believe..... But he also sells a kit to keep it secured where I have it. Lots of build threads on here where I've seen em different places, too.
Yep, inside works very well:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/HiLiftMount.shtml

Ultimately mine will be going out on my rear tire carrier once I figure out how I want to mount it.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Yep, .... there's that sweet "WHITE BEAST" that I often envy!^^^^ hahaha.

PS> Roger, ...you going to think up/market some kits for other mounting locations? Do you have one that would work on my newly acquired Con-Ferr Roof rack? >>>

PSS> lol.... Sporting your BJ spacers and Diff Drop Kit now ^^^
Old 09-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

Most times when I get stuck it is in my driveway so it is only a short walk to get the jack. When the winch does not work.
"Pics or it didn't happen~!" hahaha.... JK
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> Roger, ...you going to think up/market some kits for other mounting locations? Do you have one that would work on my newly acquired Con-Ferr Roof rack? >>>
I think there are a number of places that make ConFerr jack mount kits. Or you can use one of the ones HiLift sells and bolt it to the rack. I've used their old LocRac on my old Landcruiser and it worked fine. Or really simple is to get a pair of 1/2" coarse thread bolts and drill two holes in the rack that line up with the jack holes and use a couple of regular nuts or wing nuts to attach it.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9

haha, that's the funniest thing I think I've heard you say on here.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know of a good place on a 1st gen pickup?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I don't own one but if you give me yours I'll find a good place to keep it then tell you where to put it once you buy a replacement =P

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MYTOYOTA
Hey I don't own one but if you give me yours I'll find a good place to keep it then tell you where to put it once you buy a replacement =P

Thanks in advance.
In fact, ... meh, just bring over the whole truck and drop it off I guess ....... I'll get it back to you in a few months with the Hi-Lift installed, ..... sound good? hahaha.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
Anyone know of a good place on a 1st gen pickup?
I've seen them mounted on the front Off Road Bumpers, in the rear on them as well.... Also, in the bed, standing up, bolted to a fastener that's attached to the lip of the bed right behind the driver/up against the window. I think ZconfederatesToy has it set up that way. Yes, it's an 87, ...but a bed is a bed, I think it would work. HOWEVER.... should you want a shell on, it wont work with that method. I suppose you could mount it with the rod over the wheel well, top of it toward the cab and base of it near the tailgate, then rig up something on the bed lip like an angled hanger out of 1/8th that would secure it, ya know? The claw would have to be facing toward the bed-bottom, most likely, but I think that would work. Why not? I MEAN, ....shells are put on those all the time, right? Why not a hi-lift? You could let the weight of it just barely rest on the wheel well and claw on the bed(in rubber holsters or something), to take some of the weight off the lip of the bed top/edges.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Funny thing we never called them high lift jacks in Wyoming we called them Sheep herders jacks I bought mine in 1976 Still going strong When I was young and dumb it has saved my life or kept me from being very uncomfortable. All to often

In those days the jacks just got thrown in the bed anyplace along with your rifle in the rack behind the seats thinking nothing of being in the bar for hours keys in the truck so you didn`t lose them!!

You should see my driveway after the Hurricane and Flood I guess it was a good thing the Dikes held !!

I will try and get pictures.

Yes it has been over a year and the tool boxes are still in the living room but the TV and sound system are still in storage a fair trade