Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Welder ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Banned 'cause I was 4runnerchevy also banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another weld Topic !

OK, Flux core (FCAW), set up right, will penetrate better then mild steel (with gas) MIG (GMAW).

Scuba:

You can do anything with a TIG as long as its AC/DC (aluminum, steel, titanium, 4130, you name it).

Choice, get a mig its easier. Set yourself up for Flux and shielded welding. If you can afford it (and have the supply)buy a 220 machine with a minimum of 50% duty cycle.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 86toylet
Choice, get a mig its easier. Set yourself up for Flux and shielded welding. If you can afford it (and have the supply)buy a 220 machine with a minimum of 50% duty cycle.
x2 - it's nice to just work on your project and not be setting off thermal shutdown in your machine or blowing breakers in your house!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM

stay clear of the CHItown electric welders from harbor freight AkA china mart.

I used one and the welds are still holding a year later but it was a major pain compared to the Lincoln 140 I have now it is at least 300 times better and 400$ more,I could only imagine how nice it would be to get my hands on a high end Miller.

another thing to think of when buying a welder a empty 40lbs or 50lbs tank to buy is going to cost you around 160$ new.

I had a co2 tank but i had to buy a adapter for my gas regulator to fit my 100% co2 tank and it ran me 17$

buy the large 12 lbs roll of wire you will save about 20 bucks compared to the 2 lbs rolls.

OFN is a good place to find info on welders and a good source to learn about metal fabrication.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I would guess if you never learned to weld in the SMAW process that ones welds could look pretty bad out of position.

There is no reason for that.

If at all possible spend the money go to school learn the basics. I see so many GMAW welds with cold lap sometimes on both legs.

If you really want to get picky all metals can also be welded in the SMAW process if one really had to and had the correct electrodes on hand.

You can never have enough welders just like you never seem to have enough clamps and grinders.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Not knowing your age and economic status I don`t know if you have an account with any of the tool truck people. Long time ago I bought my first welder from Matco tools it was built by Century and still going strong. 25 plus years later.

I would say get the biggest output wise you can afford. You can cry about how hard it is to stick weld but they are so flexible you can go from 3/32 electrode for steel to a cast iron electrode to a stainless steel electrode. while you are still changing out that first spool of wire.
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I would guess if you never learned to weld in the SMAW process that ones welds could look pretty bad out of position.

There is no reason for that.

If at all possible spend the money go to school learn the basics. I see so many GMAW welds with cold lap sometimes on both legs.

If you really want to get picky all metals can also be welded in the SMAW process if one really had to and had the correct electrodes on hand.

You can never have enough welders just like you never seem to have enough clamps and grinders.

Although I have never gone to school for welding (self taught) I can weld quite well with my lincoln stick. I just have not mastered upside down welding, which is the hardest to master. Ive done some reading on the Miller welding forum and all the experienced guys say that upsidown welding is the hardest regardless of welder and that stick upsidown welding is especially difficult. I had been thinking about getting a MIG for a while anyways and I found a smokin deal on one at Tractor supply. $599 $649 delivered to my door. Normally the Hobart 187 is $849 (at least thats what the website says) I am still going to keep my lincoln stick as versitility is great and if I ever need more than 187 amps of power. Plus you can never have too many welders. As far as CyMoNs comment about Chinese welders. A friend of mines cousin bought a harbor freight plasma cutter and it works great. Also I have a Chinese plasma cutter that I got from eshipyards off of ebay. Best 450 bucks ive spent. Its a 40 amp and it has cut everything I have attemped to cut without even a hicup. There are a lot of people who have had good results with them. And 450 bucks compared to 2 grand from miller etc is worth the gamble.

Last edited by saitotiktmdog; 04-22-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=CyMoN;51122899]stay clear of the CHItown electric welders from harbor freight AkA china mart.

I used one and the welds are still holding a year later but it was a major pain compared to the Lincoln 140 I have now it is at least 300 times better and 400$ more,I could only imagine how nice it would be to get my hands on a high end Miller.

QUOTE]

I have been using my lincoln 180 for everything from sheet metal(xj unibody fun) to welding an axle truss(cast, preheat yata yata) to tubing bumper fab. I also used a brand new miller 252 at work for about a year and I can say I get just as good of welds from my lincoln as I did with the 252. The 252 can burn way hotter, had a spoolgun atach with two bottle mounts, and a nifty display but really I get just as good of weld up to 1/4" and my welder is lighter and way cheaper.

I posted that link of my buddies build to show that you dont need a professional machine to get professional results. Just get a good mig(miller,lincoln,hobart,etc), run good wire, use the correct gas, and learn to weld.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Used the new welder last night. It works great. Ran out of Argon though at the end. Need to get some more now. But im very happy with it.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 AM

I got mine from a guy that buys stuff at an auction and I got a Lincoln sp-125 Plus mig, brand new jackson auto darkening helmet, and a 10lb. spool of hobart flux core wire for about $150. Everything works top notch and I have welded a lot with that welder. Even though it is only a 110v it gets the job done, even on thicker metals.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM

i can weld real good tig/ wire gas / stick my neighbor spend $$ on a harbor freight welder
it looked terrible when i used it it simply is pure junk , use a lincoln sp135 great welder
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Gotta pay to play. Be wary of lincolns "HD" mig welders the HD stands for Home Depot (as in, cheap made for retail) not heavy duty.