YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Tool Time
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Newbie - Air Compressors oil vs oilless for weekend wrencher

I have looked around at some posts about air compressors but have not found all the info I was looking for. So here are some more questions I had.

I'm looking to purchase my first air compressor. I would like to be able to run an impact gun, air ratchet, and air chisel. I have looked at some of the post here about oilless and oil air compressors. I know that oilless can be loud but outside of that do they have any other downfalls? I have not heard any negative experiences with oiled air compressors.(also I have only used oilless) How is the oil changed? Is it changed? I'm guessing it is. What kind of CFM and PSI should I be looking at for the tools I have listed. I'm going to be using the compressor for brakes, oil changes, and the suspension that is waiting to go on my Runner.

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I did not list all the info necessary to make a complete decision about a compressor
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

'00 4Runner SR5 4WD -- ARB BUMPER -- CROSS DRILLED ROTORS -- DUELER REVOS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

id go with oil lubricated for the following reasons:
1. quiter
2. cooler running
3. more reliable(oiless use self lubing bushings, they will eventually wear out, new compressor)
with oil compressors, there will be a oil fill port, a drain plug, and a sight glass for oil level, use oil specifically for compressors(you can find it at any autozone/oriellys/pepboys/home depot/lowes

as far as air requirements, it really depends on the exact tools you plan to use. you would be suprised at the different air requirements for just impact wrenches, let alone everything else. i would consider a 2hp 8-10gallon the minimum. im a hobyist wrencher, and i got a 5hp 20gallon from harbor freight for 150, and im glad i didnt go smaller.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to deserttoy84
get at least a 20 gallon or it will run ALL the time. i got an old (20 or so years old) craftsman compressor that sat in storage for 13 years and plugged it in and it works great. but its a 20 gallon and runs pretty often with power tools going
Home made On-board air system
V6 4.88 lock rites F & R
Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks
Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer47
id go with oil lubricated for the following reasons:
1. quiter
2. cooler running
3. more reliable(oiless use self lubing bushings, they will eventually wear out, new compressor)
with oil compressors, there will be a oil fill port, a drain plug, and a sight glass for oil level, use oil specifically for compressors(you can find it at any autozone/oriellys/pepboys/home depot/lowes

as far as air requirements, it really depends on the exact tools you plan to use. you would be suprised at the different air requirements for just impact wrenches, let alone everything else. i would consider a 2hp 8-10gallon the minimum. im a hobyist wrencher, and i got a 5hp 20gallon from harbor freight for 150, and im glad i didnt go smaller.
I concur. Oiless are waaaaaay to noisy....
Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to maxpower_hd
I'll 3rd that. I had an oil less Crapsman that I borrowed from work. The thing wasn't loud, it was effing loud!

I ended up getting hold of a tank and some compressor parts and putting one together for almost free. I used it for several years but it did run quite frequently. After I built the garage, I got a used 60 gallon for $200 from a local shop that was upgrading. I ended up putting another $60 into later for rebuild parts but it was still worth it.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are looking for some cheap air compressors take a look at this website.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
15, air, compressor, compressors, craftsman, fill, gal, loud, oil, oiled, oiless, oilless, oillubricated, versus, vs