Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Makita LXT Toolset.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makita LXT Toolset.

Last August I decided it was time I bought myself a decent battery drill. While snooping around, I found the Makita LXT-407 set that included several tools I either used or needed: a reciprocating saw, impact gun, flashlight and of course, the drill. The kit came with two 3AH Li-Ion batteries and a single charger.
After roundabout a year of use, I thought I'd share my thoughts.

The good:
- Each tool is very stoutly built, they have a firm weight and heft to them, none of the housings creak or deform under weight.
- I really like the battery design: they slide right in, clip in firmly but can still be pulled out with one hand. Their tracks and terminals are arranged in a very foolproof manner, and there's simply no way to install a battery incorrectly.
- They kick like a mule. The brushless motors in these are torque monsters, and my first couple of cuts with the sawzall nearly dumped me on my ass. They mean business. In fact, the battery drill is my new go-to for drilling out rivets, or sheet or plate metal over my old corded drill.

- The drill and driver have LEDS on them that illuminate your work. It goes almost unnoticed in daylight, but when you crawl under your rig, it's a night-and-day improvement.

- The impact gun is just phenomenal. It's probably saved me hours of work manually pulling bolts out of things like my trucks bed or frame. It's revolutionized my work habits in a way that comparable to going from torches and spears to LED lighting and Land Cruisers.

- Recharging the batteries is a half-hour turn around time, it's mind-blowing.

- The drill's chuck is one of the easiest I've worked with, but it still holds firm.

- The recipro saw has a really cool twisting chuck on it that also saves time.

- The flashlight throws a very nice beam, and the battery forms a nice stable base.

The less-good:
- They're Li-Ion so when their regulators determine that they're too low their own good, they just plain stop dead. No warning.

- I'm used to recipro saws having a high-low setting, this one is one-speed so potential buyers be aware that it will throw you around like a rag doll.

- I understand the value of the tote bag that came with it, especially considering it has to carry a diverse toolset.

- The impact gun needs a 1/4"-hex-to-1/2" socket driver adapter. Not a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

- This tool set is a "gateway" toolset. I'm already eyeballing other tools to add to the party.

In conclusion: I love this tool set, it's fantastic and useful. I was helping my Dad out with a project the other day and jokingly said that it's probably the best purchase of my life. He paused for a second, and just said: "You know, you're right." And walked away.
I'm so sold on this kit that I've just adopted an LXT angle grinder, which is rapidly becoming my new best friend.

If you have any thoughts or questions, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to fill in the details.

Last edited by RobotMoose; 08-09-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Is this a paid Endorsement ??

You should begetting something !!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
My Makita cordless drill has been running non stop for 15 years..my grinder is 25 years old. They make great stuff
Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Is this a paid Endorsement ??

You should begetting something !!
Oh, I wish!
I'll endorse Toyota if they sling a 1KD-FTV motor, harness, and 5-speed my way!

Originally Posted by dropzone
My Makita cordless drill has been running non stop for 15 years..my grinder is 25 years old. They make great stuff
They really do. When I was very young my Dad ran Makita hardware because he had a contact with them through Hewlett-Packard, and I was always very impressed with the kind of work they could produce.
And the grinder is now my new favorite tool, displacing my pocket knife altogether.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 PM

My dad has this same set, and uses it everyday at work.(Lexus Tech) He recently brought them home for home use as we do alot of side work and they were over 5 years old. They are still working flawlessly as we speak. In some ways the impact is even better than the Ridgid that replaced it.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by HotNotch
My dad has this same set, and uses it everyday at work.(Lexus Tech) He recently brought them home for home use as we do alot of side work and they were over 5 years old. They are still working flawlessly as we speak. In some ways the impact is even better than the Ridgid that replaced it.
Very cool testimony!
It's nice knowing that I have years of good work to get out of these tools.

That impact gun is such a game-changer. I'd had my bed off and ready for my neighbor to pull with his backhoe in about six minutes!