Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Chicago Electric Welder Help

Old 09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Electric Welder Help

I have a Chicago Electric Welder.. Bought it used back in the day worked great... one day the plastic handle fell apart, i rigged it and it worked... well since then, its fallen all apart and i no longer have parts of the handle... also i htink i blew a fuse inside of it... the fuse was black and not see through anymore, and hte welder stopped working even if you crossed the wires that were inside the hadnle.... the fuse part is i think Buss T1.6AL250V where can i find it and what does that part # mean? also is there a way to find a replacement handle? or does anyone have any handle that will work on it?
the welder model is easy mig 101/1 and the #36689
Old 09-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimabena74
I have a Chicago Electric Welder.. Bought it used back in the day worked great... one day the plastic handle fell apart, i rigged it and it worked... well since then, its fallen all apart and i no longer have parts of the handle... also i htink i blew a fuse inside of it... the fuse was black and not see through anymore, and hte welder stopped working even if you crossed the wires that were inside the hadnle.... the fuse part is i think Buss T1.6AL250V where can i find it and what does that part # mean? also is there a way to find a replacement handle? or does anyone have any handle that will work on it?
That fuse is a 1.6 amp 250V slow blow fuse (not sure how hard those are to find).
As for the handle I would call Chicago Electric for parts or search the net.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM

My experience with no name welders is I bought a hobart welder that i bought new for my shop . I had it about six mouths and needed tips for it I went to 3 local welding shop and the told me the could not get tips so i look online with no luck. I e-mailed hobart to find out that (unlike miller and lincoln) they made 3 different tips for that model not size but thread size and pitch (miller and lincoln makes only a few tips for all there welders) and i had to know which one i had they said i need to go to a shop to have them look at it and order the right one for my gun so i want back to the 3 shops and got the same answer after 3 days of going back and fourth with hobart and the shops i found out that my tips where no longer available. I was mad I had a welder that was six months old that i could not use hobart told me for 350.00 the could upgrade my welder with a new gun I only payed 489.00 with shipping. I HOPE YOU DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THAT WELDER GOOD LUCK..
Old 09-20-2005, 06:28 PM

hobart is not a no name welder, people are buying them left and right!!! i bought one over lincoln and miller. it is made by millers parent company!! what model did you have?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lunatic14r
My experience with no name welders is I bought a hobart welder that i bought new for my shop . I had it about six mouths and needed tips for it I went to 3 local welding shop and the told me the could not get tips so i look online with no luck. I e-mailed hobart to find out that (unlike miller and lincoln) they made 3 different tips for that model not size but thread size and pitch (miller and lincoln makes only a few tips for all there welders) and i had to know which one i had they said i need to go to a shop to have them look at it and order the right one for my gun so i want back to the 3 shops and got the same answer after 3 days of going back and fourth with hobart and the shops i found out that my tips where no longer available. I was mad I had a welder that was six months old that i could not use hobart told me for 350.00 the could upgrade my welder with a new gun I only payed 489.00 with shipping. I HOPE YOU DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THAT WELDER GOOD LUCK..
Hobart is made by Miller and uses the same parts.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jimabena74
Here's a listing for the fuse:
http://www.fuseone.com/search.asp?search=T1.6AL250V

Assuming the CE welder came from Harbor Freight, they are usually very good with replacement parts. Call them up and give it a shot. Helps to look up the [p/n in the manual, either printed or the PDF version on-line.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 09-21-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 AM

Another Chicago Welder Help

I came into a Chicago Welder Power Mig Model # 171/1
item # 36693. How do I get a complete book on this machine as it needs some work???
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo74
You can get the fuse from the home depot or radio shack for sure. They use these fuses in TV's as well. Here is where you can contact Chicago Electric for your welder -
http://www.chicagoelectric.com/contact/index.asp
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 AM

Smile Ghicago Welder

Thanks Cormel for your help with this.