YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Tool Time
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to harpen123
Advice on how to remove sheared off bolts

I broke two bolts in my lower balljoint they are high grade bolts so drilling into them has been almost impossible. I tried to use an ez-out and broke a smaller one then couldnt get the larger one to bite into the metal enough. Does anyone know a better way to get these bolts out. they are down past flush into the bolt holes.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

1985 P/u basically stock. old motor is out! new stuff swapped over and motor soon to go in. Trail gear 5in has been shipped next, 5.29's, doubler and a buncha other goodies.

"If at first u don't succeed , ur probably going about 10 mph too slow." (Only in my 85)

"Didn't barbie drive a jeep?"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (10)

Machine shop.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

kinda what I was afraid of.

1985 P/u basically stock. old motor is out! new stuff swapped over and motor soon to go in. Trail gear 5in has been shipped next, 5.29's, doubler and a buncha other goodies.

"If at first u don't succeed , ur probably going about 10 mph too slow." (Only in my 85)

Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Somone with the proper tools and know how can take it out easily.

I've had a few fubared creations of my own and the machinist at work always makes fun of me for not being able to get it fixed like he does. That is why I just concede and take it to him before I make it even WORSE.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

any advice on where to look or whether I should go ahead and get a new spindle.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Avsfreak1234 Send a message via Yahoo to Avsfreak1234
left handed drill bits?
Cessna 172...not really mine
Old 06-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

is that the same thing as an ezout where u drill a hole then put the bit in backwards and try and back it out?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

nevemind I looked them up. Yeah the main problem is drilling into a grade 8 is no easy task.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I'd price a new or used spindle and what the machine shop would charge you...then go with whichever is cheaper.

If you were local I could probably get it done for nothing.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia
x2 on a replacement spindle. Had to do the same thing for TC when his hub sheared off... (and 6 of the 8 hub bolts were down in there) getting 1 out is no easy task, let alone 6 of em!

Get your 4x4 TOYOTA VIDEO pr0n here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Best and cheapest are mutually exclusive. You can have the best, or you can have the cheapest, but you cannot have both.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

A good ;sharp drill should have no problem with a grade 8 bolt or stud.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

If its not too deep in the hole you could try and get a nut the same size and weld down the hole of the nut into the bolt and let it cool. Then take the torch to it, heat the newly made bolt up till its cherry red, then douse it with water to cool it fast. This will cause the bolt to expand, which expands the hole its in a bit then when you cool it fast it shrinks but the hole is still that little bit bigger. It may work. I don't know how deep the hole is or anything but if its not too deep its worth a try. But you need to be a decent welder to not screw everything up badly too.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to chimmike
Carbon drill bits from Sears. They're like $60 for a small pack of 'em, but I've drilled through grade 8 bolts with them......they're damn strong.
'07 Harley-Davidson XL1200c, rush slip-ons
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to RustBucket
I'd get a pro to do it and ask them to show you how they dun it
Old 06-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

1. Get hold of Bill and Ted.
2. Ask them if you can borrow their super cool phone booth thingy.
3. Go back to just before you broke the bolts.
4. Post on YT, "How do I break loose a stubborn bolt without breaking bolt?"
5. Rock out to some "Wyld Stallyns" while you wait for responses.
6. Remove bolts per YT'rs suggestion.
7. Finish repair.

1990 4Runner | V6 3.4 | 5spd | 240 someoddthousand miles | SR5 | SAS | RLS | 35's | ARB | TJM | 217 to 1 | W8000

- four wheels | three sticks | two hands | one trail -

visit the sticki chronicles
Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

damn if I had only had YT at tellico this guy could have helped me.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bolt, bolts, hub, nut, remove, removed, removing, scew, screw, sheared, shearing, sheered, stud, tool, warn