Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Topguncustoms 85-98 Toyota IFS Lift for Pickup 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topguncustoms 85-98 Toyota IFS Lift for Pickup 4Runner

This is 85-98 Toyota IFS lift kit (Ball Joint Spacers) for Pickup 4Runner (2.5")

this kit i have installed in 2 trucks (87 4Runner and 1993 pickup) and its very easy to install and cheapest one in Ebay.com
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-98-Toyota-IFS-Pickup-4Runner-2-5-Front-Leveling-Lift-Kit-Diff-Drop-4WD-4x4-/261087144798?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cca01ab5e&vxp=mtr)

this kit includes Ball joint spacers and front differential drop kit too. so that its complete lift kit. although you need to modify upper control arm in order to install the kit. i think you might needs to install extended front shocks. this is also good opportunity to replace
  • Front Brakes
  • upper and lower ball joint

so let me start with list of tools you need:-
  • good socket set
  • breaker bar
  • Eye protection-glasses
  • Jack and jack stand (at least 2)
  • Angle grinder
  • impact gun( save youre time)
  • rustoleum can

i'm trying to put
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial Tire - 33X12.50R15LT 108Q in stock truck, i have install them but its rubbing the fender when i make the turns.

This is the Lift Kit and all the parts

now jack-up the truck

for better stability -use the jack stands on both side of the truck. and take the front wheels off the truck.

take the front skid plate out for easy reach and better view

before you touch the upper control arm, use a jack to lift the arm all the way. jack it right under lower ball joint. that make easier at the end to cut of pieces from the control arm.

now remove the front shocks and sway bar links,

This very important ........ use couple shots of Johnny walker Black Label or Jack Daniel..... makes everything way smoother and time will fly by....

to get the total gap in between control arm and ball joint, i have use biggest socket i have and stuck between rubber bump-stop.********this is very important***********

now, those are the 4 bolts of the upper ball joint, you don't have take the ball joint off the truck, but you have to take the ball joint studs off the ball joint, so there is a easy way to do it.
it was the hard first time, but i found this way is much eaiser.

Loosen the nuts, but do not take off the studs. use 12 socket for this **************Very important********

now use a hammer and give it a couple good bangs on the nuts, make sure you don't remove the floor jack from the bottom of the lower control arm. that make all the strain taken away by floor jack (force will work downwards).

now take off the nuts, after you will feel that studs are loosen. give it light hammer and studs will fell right out....

Now take the rotor and the ball joint side ways and make room to cut the upper control arm.

This is what you have to do, this ball joint spacer needs to be fit right under the control arm, but there is a one side won't let it go throuh. so you have cut that limp off the control arm with the angle grinder. don't cut it too much, always put back the spacer and see how much gap you need to cut off. before you do that make sure to ware good eye protection. i learned the hard way.

this step depends on your talent. i'm not good with this. so i made some cuts side ways and did the opposite way too. then got good wise grips and bent to the other side.

now clean the upper control arm really good. if you see any rust on the control arm, use sand paper and clean the surface really good. then use the rustoleum and spray really good on the cuts you made. what the hell...paint the hole thing...

now the first ****Johnny Walker Break.....Take a another 2 shots

install the spacers and use the bolts provided by the kit. tight them really good. make sure that little cut-out notch has to face the out side. that is for drain the water collect inside( thats what thought)

now, go under and remove the front differential bolts and some times its pain in the a** to remove them. mine it was. use the small spacers drop down the differential. use the bolts given by the kit.

if you replacing sway bar links, replace them and use the sway bay drop spacers given by the kit.

install the extended shocks and the brake pads if you need them.

thats it......you are done with the lift.

inspector in-charge looking at the work...my mom

now finish off the bottle and go for a ride........feels the new lift
Attached Thumbnails Topguncustoms 85-98 Toyota IFS Lift for Pickup 4Runner-20140302_104813.jpg   Topguncustoms 85-98 Toyota IFS Lift for Pickup 4Runner-20140302_104717.jpg   Topguncustoms 85-98 Toyota IFS Lift for Pickup 4Runner-20140302_111659.jpg  

Last edited by shar; 03-18-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up. Did the spacers alone solve the rubbing or did you have to crank the torsion bars too or install an additional lift?

15x10 rims?
Which model shocks fit your truck?

Last edited by joekerr1@gmail.com; 08-20-2016 at 09:22 AM.