Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

BFG A/T's

Old 10-24-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by red99trd
i have 33x10.50x15 s on my mildly lifted truck. they are rather smooth riding for a truck tire,great in snow, no problems yet in rain(i use common sense in deep puddles),look great! 20,000 miles look almost new my only complaint is they dont make a 34x11.50x15 which i could run with my lift!!! THAT WOULD LOOK TOO SWEET
Y DONT U JUST MOVE ON UP TO 35'S? =) ...JUST 0.5" TALLER HEHE
Old 12-11-2008, 05:46 PM

By what I've read above you blokes have had a pretty easy run with your BFG's.

I live in Perth Western Australia. The places I go out bush are usually on bush tracks where the bush likes to have a love affair with my vehicle (Toyota Landcruiser Troop Carrier - Troopy for short) by scratching the paint work. I run BFG's. I had numerous sidewall stakes but never any through the tread, chipping of the tread, bulges in the tread, two tread delaminations and two blowouts. One blowout was on the front at 60k's and one on the rear at 100k's, the Troopy remained very stable in both incidences.

I'll be looking for new tyres next year and at this stage nothing has conviced my to go away from BFG's.

Merry Christmas to all in the Land of Tin Tanks.

Last edited by Rod W; 12-15-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 PM

i simply love the BFG ATs. they last a very long time, and work well in the rain. and have more traction on wet rocks then my KMs do. they are also great in the winter.
i would recommend these tires to anyone.
i've ran these tires on all of the vehicles i've owned. in fact i owned the same set of 29s for about 50k miles, and they were on 3 different vehicles in 6 years, my 2 jeep cherokees, and my moms 3.slow she gave to me when she bought her 95 4runner.She also runs a set of 31s on her 4runner, and she would never trade em for a different tire.

Last edited by sa51; 12-11-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Nittos are noticeably better on road than than BFGs especially in the wet in my comparisons of both brands but off road the KOs would get the edge in ruggedness but my Nittos have been holding up quite well to the rough stuff.

I drive hard on mine on the street and the grip is better but they will wear a little quicker than the BFGs and in the rain the hydroplane threshold is higher with the TGs and give a bit better warning when hydroplaning starts but you can tell that by looking at the two tread patterns where the Nittos have better defined water evac channels.

I'd take a set of BFGs for a weekend warrior but with my daily driving duties the Nittos have benn a better choice for me after driving on more than a few set of BFGs over the years.
Veteran x-member Bamachem first recommended Nittos to me and I've never looked back and will have another set on come spring.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 PM

picked up 4 brand new 32s for 200 off craigslist, they run great in mud, self cleanings good, sidewalls are pretty tough, and no onroad noise.. the mts are noisy on a friends but do a bit better in mud
Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 PM

I'll put my vote in with the BFG ATs also. Excellent dry/wet/snow traction and passable traction in the mud. These are great tires if you rig has to do it all.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
The tires are alright, they performe better than expected on road. They have okay on road wet traction. But they kicked some but doing some minor off roading with my poser 2wd. I have a few complaints that I think needed to be adressed with these tires, the wear on them isnt that great. I think they are only gonna last a year or so. That was a bad thing for me since they are so expensive. They pick up more rocks than a damn geologist. Thoes rocks it picks up get thrown out at freeway speeds like Nolan Ryan's old pitching. I like the tires, this is me second set. The only set that I have ever bought that was larger than stock. I get the tires rotated and blanaced every 2 months now. And that only helps them wear evenly, but still quickly. At this rate I might as well buy Interco SSR, at least they look really cool and will make my truck look like a hard core off roader. As for the tires, Im iffy on buying them for a third time. Im looking into thoes cool Nitto Terra Grappas (I wish I had that kind of money), but seriously Im looking into Revos, Swampers, and thoes Good Years. Everyone on this board seems to be partial to Revos so they are worth a look into. Plus if you look into the bargain section Costco seems to be running a promotion on the tires. But enough of me rambling on
how is it that ive had mine for 3 years now, and theyre still looking brand new? if i was to go to discount and get new tires, id only be paying about 10 bucks a tire, theyre in such good condition. if u take care of them... rotate, balance, keep a proper alignment, and dont burn out all the time, then they will last.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Until BFG designs a better tread pattern to combat their so-so wet pavement manners I'll just be sticking with my Nittos which have been considerably better as a DD tire than any BFGs I've owned and the TGs saved me $200 vs BFGs.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just noticed this thread was brought back from the dead. *doh!*
Old 05-23-2009, 12:25 PM

The only experience I have with BFG ATs are on my dad's f150. (Don't hate, he has a secret love affair with toyota lol) They have been the best tires I have ever seen on a truck. We never had an issue with them for 50k miles.

Minimal road noise, worked well for us in the snow when I was up north in flagstaff. Great in the rain, and handled some light off roading like nothing. I finally ran over something that made one go flat, not to mention, after 50k miles and over 2 years in the Arizona sun, they were dry rotting a little. These will be purchased again.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

BFGs have their place but they aren't $200 better than the Nittos I've been driving on for the last 45k miles and I'll be buying my 2nd set by fall.

BFGs still rock but still so-so on pavement and since my truck is daily driver I demanded more from an A/T tire.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 PM

I'm curious about how the BFG T/A stack up against the Michelin LTX A/T2 (which is what I have on my 4Runner).

I saw comparison earlier against LTX M/S, but those seem to be more of a road tire than the LTX A/T2 and much more of a road tire than the BFG AT T/A.

BFG T/A:

Michelin LTX M/S:

Michelin LTX A/T2:

Last edited by Windsor; 05-23-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

BFGs don't have defined water evac channels which makes them sketchy in wet weather and can't compare them to either of the michelins which wouldn't stack up against the BFGs off road. Kinda comparing apples to oranges.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

I can vouch for the wet road performance. The Michelin LTX A/T2 does well, I had the BFG for a while and they sucked imo. Even with my '91 4Runner with the 3.0L they spun all the time going uphill on wet roads.

Now with the 5spd and the 3.4L I don't have that issue at all. They also last a lot longer and stay quite throughout their service life. I found that the BFG AT were getting noisier after about 15K.

The Michelins also did well in the snow around here this winter.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 PM

I've had my BFG ATs since December and they did amazing in the snow (we had a big storm this last December) and they've done great in the rain. Had a chance to go wheelin' with them last week and they did awesome on the rocks as well as the mud.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Ive owned 4 sets of BFG A/Ts and 2 sets of BFG M/Ts. I had them on my 92 4Runner, My 87 Toyota pickup, I replaced them on my 99 Tacoma with Dunlop Mudrovers and got about 1/2 the tread wear life. I then put 35x12.50R15 MTs on my 99 Tacoma and absolutely fell in love. I bought a 2000 4Runner and without hesitation I will putting on BFG ATs on it. I just purchased a set for my 2003 4Runner.

When I lived in Washington, I had trouble with my BFG ATs (31x10.50s) hydroplaning when they got to about 25% tread. But other than that I abused them on the trails just like every other tire.

If you want a mud tire then buy a mud tire.
If you want a street tire then buy a street tire.
If you want the best of "All Terrains" the buy BFG ATs. You wont be disappointed.

I personally like the looks of the AT. Aggressive but mild mannered and quiet.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

I thought my TGs were better than BFGs in the snow and rain and the Duratracs are even better than the Nittos and the GY cost about $200 less than a set of BFGs out the door. I've driven on plenty of BFGs to know this but off road the BFG's sidewalls are hard to beat but on DD the BFGs have their shortcomings and hydroplaning and cost are two of them. Dry street grip still goes the Nittos but my Duratracs are making me quite happy and they look good and not everybody and their mom has 'em.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 PM

YES! i'm rolling on my second set of BFG AT's (the first set i actually still have as backups) and they've proven their worth deliciously! my friend has a small lake (pond? about 4 feet deep at deepest and about 50 feet in diameter made entirely of clay and water) and i've gone thru that with ease numerous times without slippage. although it might have been my 4Runner, i did notice my jeep-owner friends eyeballing my BFG AT's when they had mickey thompson boggers!!!

Last edited by Sly4Running; 03-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, used to swap out my Firestone M/Ts waith a set of narrower BFG A/T's, thought it would help me get the best mpgs and best tread life on the M/Ts. To not to my suprise the mpgs were better with the A/Ts than the M/T but the wet traction stopping sucked a big bag of ass. Axle Ike and I have gone round and round on this topic. perhaps they are great for some applications and terrains. Me personally think they should be left for the "mall rated" rigs who might need to drive over a parking placestop or pull the occasional boat out of the water.

Think the the BFG A/t is a perfect example that if enough money is spent in advertisement ppl will beleive the hype. Just my honest opinion.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 AM

hmm i've not had any problems with mine... although i do get them cheap because im a good shopper. i can get four (4) BFG AT's for $100. prolly because they're made in japan. and woah woah woah! im not driving a mall truck!!! all i have is stock lift and all i'm going to buy is a 2 inch lift!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BFG A/T's