Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argetina in an 87 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cvs are a blast! did u replace the boots or the hole thing? just curious..
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 PM

well it seems like crossing the darien gap, is the most challenging thing to do, will you guys sail or fly to colombia?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

I thought there were bridges across the canal at the gap... never mind my bad I thought the canal was at the gap and it's a bit north of there lol

never mind just oogle maped it... the hwy ends before you get to the Panama Darein nat.'l park... surprisingly it also appears there are no big settlements on the coast for nearly 800 miles from Panama City panama to Buenaventura columbia... I'd have thought the entry/exit pts of the canal would have been "major" centers considering the amt. of traffic and the need for ship inspection/repair ports...

Still strange they have'nt yet pushed a hwy. through the area yet enviro-sensitive or not...

Last edited by aviator; 12-16-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 87Roxanne
well it seems like crossing the darien gap, is the most challenging thing to do, will you guys sail or fly to colombia?
logistically it is a pain, we are going to try to sail through the san blas islands to columbia
Old 12-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
I thought there were bridges across the canal at the gap...
may be able to get across the canal, but your not getting across the darien gap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 87Roxanne
cvs are a blast! did u replace the boots or the hole thing? just curious..
whole thing, and ya it was a bitch getting it out of there, almost dropped the entire truck on my head trying to articulate the A-Arm on the jack to get the right angle
Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

According to wiki link some folks have done it [crossed the gap] but all in all seems more trouble then its worth lol...
be careful moving around that part of columbia... it were me I'd get on the pan-american and put my heel to the steel and get out of there toot sweet...
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 AM

According to wiki link some folks have done it [crossed the gap] but all in all seems more trouble then its worth lol...
be careful moving around that part of columbia... it were me I'd get on the pan-american and put my heel to the steel and get out of there toot sweet...
From others who have traveled there recently, Columbia has some beautiful country and amazing people, I am looking forward to spending some time there.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by defrag4
From others who have traveled there recently, Columbia has some beautiful country and amazing people, I am looking forward to spending some time there.
I'm not saying it is'int beautiful country/people... all IK is foreign affairs advises us to "avoid unnecessary travel" in that area because of FARC / drug gang activity the same advice they give us [on the qt not openly] about Mex. border and tourist areas.
I would love to spend some time there but I'd still sleep with one eye open and keep my powder dry... lol
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM

Definitely more trouble than it's worth. FYI, it's been done in a Jeep, on a motorcycle, and supposedly someone crossed on foot...Chevy had a failed publicity stunt with a band of corvairs attempting to cross the Gap back in the day. They didn't make it, but it was definitely a unique adventure. Here's a video on youtube from the Corvairs in the Darien.
Originally Posted by defrag4
That warehouse looks familiar, but the 4runner inside looks like it's the wrong color....
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM

I'm not saying it is'int beautiful country/people... all IK is foreign affairs advises us to "avoid unnecessary travel" in that area because of FARC / drug gang activity the same advice they give us [on the qt not openly] about Mex. border and tourist areas.
I would love to spend some time there but I'd still sleep with one eye open and keep my powder dry... lol
but of course, we always keep our heads on a swivel and are mindful of our surroundings, if it doesnt feel safe we boogie on
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM

This is awesome! My wife and I are loving your blog and I've subscribed to it. Good luck to you both!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Nice! yeah sailing seems to be the best deal! but time consuming to find the right people etc... but it seems like time is not an issue for u guys! !!
i replaced cvs before on my truck and by far it was the most pain in the ass thing ive done in a vehicle !! i eventually had to disconect lower ball joint to get it out. Not having the right tools made it horrible! wanted to cry almost.... hehe
second time replacing boots was a piece of cake....not so much....
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 PM

the gap is full of rebels now a days...haven.t you all seen man vs. wild? hehehe anyways you guys should check out portobello in panama. its the spanish fort where most of the south american gold left the continent. i read that the improved the roads to get there now. it seems like a must see!!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Whats up guys! Merry Christmas! Just got done wheeling for 4 days in Big Bend National Park backcountry, I ended up busting up my rear swingout hitch pin mount, one of my jerry can mounts, and somehow jammed my rear leafspring pack through the corner of my fuel tank, also seem to be leaking a bit of fuel from somewhere around the injector closest to the radiator. (Did I mention I was gettin it!?)

We were planning to cross at Ojinaga but now we are in El Paso, TX where we are camped out in front of 4WheelParts waiting for it to open tomorrow. PLan to buy a new Jerry Can mount in the morning and hopefully find a good fab shop/mechanic in the area to help me with my other issues.

Anyone know somebody in the El Paso area who could help us out? Need a bit of welding and some mechanical help! Thanks fellers
Old 12-25-2011, 03:26 PM

That really blows. Sorry don't know any one in Texas but if you guys were closer to Fresno,Ca I would be more than likey to help. Hopefully you guys get if fix soon.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:28 PM

no problem bud, its all part of the fun. break it and build it stronger next time!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Merry Christmas defrag... sorry to hear about your problems.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:10 PM

merry christmas friend, no problems, just adjustments!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Wow! You guys are awesome!! Always wanted to drive the PanAm. I did a 65 day road trip from Palm Beach to SF when I moved out here last year. pretty much took the same route as you guys. Amazing drive. I wish you the best of luck and am subscribed. I think I saw you guys on couchsurfing also! Take care, Jeff.

Quick Reply: Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argetina in an 87 4Runner