Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

From England to Mongolia in my 1993 Toyota Pickup for the summer of 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think it was a 93 frame rust recall was on later Tacoma's was probably an 03...

afaik no frame recalls on 89-94s recalls start on 95.5 and on... def. take care of the vis. rust wheel off loose stuff and paint/por15 to protect the rest... add plates if you find a weak spot...

for sure register yourself with yota as the owner of the vin and they will tell you what recalls are outstanding... as a friendly get the snail mail addy of the new owner when you sell it and register them as new owner...
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Don't think it was a 93 frame rust recall was on later Tacoma's was probably an 03...

afaik no frame recalls on 89-94s recalls start on 95.5 and on... def. take care of the vis. rust wheel off loose stuff and paint/por15 to protect the rest... add plates if you find a weak spot...

for sure register yourself with yota as the owner of the vin and they will tell you what recalls are outstanding... as a friendly get the snail mail addy of the new owner when you sell it and register them as new owner...
Will do, we will run the truck by toyota to check if there have been any recalls. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that there was a steering rack or something related to the steering that had a recall. Either way, good idea thanks

Picture BC - Check out the Logo we got made up for the team, we think it looks pretty dang sweet!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2012MongolRally
a steering rack or something related to the steering that had a recall.
Idler arm.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Aviator, I may have mistaken the year but i do know it was a 90's truck maybe a 96'? im not 100% sure the year, but it was for the frame recall and that thing was bad!!

And as i mentioned ^ (and i think i saw another post) there is a recall for the relay rod and it requires new tie rod ends as well. I didnt have an idler arm recall for my truck (91'). But that doesnt mean there isnt one.

Definately go over that frame and patch/paint/por15 any weak spots u see like aviator said. And like i said ^ electrical connections. That whole truck looks like it was drowned and sat in a bad environment for rust. Makes me feel a lot better about my rust issues. They seem minor compared to yours and i was concerned but not anymore lol
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by KRos_+
That whole truck looks like it was drowned and sat in a bad environment for rust. Makes me feel a lot better about my rust issues. They seem minor compared to yours and i was concerned but not anymore lol
Yeah this truck came from the shore side of Maryland. Idk if this guy had a boat to go fishing or whether he just drove this truck into the damn water and went fishing.

Either way, this is rig I am going to redeem, ehhhhhhhh lets seem how things go. If the truck breaks in half driving over the Pamir Highway (if I remember right I think rated as the 3rd or 4th most dangerous highway in the world), well I sure hope to get some awesome video with my GoPro haha

I've always wanted to use this smiley haha, I have no idea where in a conversation you use this thing???
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Re: snorkels.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...norkel-142518/
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Frame recall applied to 95.5 and on "Tacomas" not the 89-95.5 Trucks (89-97 Hilux)...

Steering recall was for the steering "third member" or middle arm not the idler arm or pitman arm but the middle one they [and the inner tie rod ends] are connected to... this is a critical part of the steering system being the one part that holds everything together...

get this done... and make sure the tech. remembers to put the cotter pins on all the castle nuts... they forgot to pin mine and I went back to the dealer the next morning and had a pointed "discussion" with the service manager... who had one with goofy apprentice tech. they'd had do the recall work and the "supervising" mechanic who had'nt "supervised"...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Just to keep everything tied together I am posting my other thread here. Just for my sanity so I know when I was asking what and when.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51903437
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by SARtruck
Thanks SARtruck, KRos, and aviator

I am going to pick up a new idler arm, just to be on the safe side. Currently, I am looking to go back with our old plan of removing the suspension lift. I don't think the higher CG will help us when driving at 30 - 40 mph when we hit a pothole (aka a sinkhole over there). We won't be crawling over huge things, and for the most part we will have more ground clearance than most other teams.

Do you have any ideas how much work I am looking at busting that old suspension off? I know that might sound trivial after doing the clutch and the timing chain, but the stuff looks pretty rusty so I am wondering whether those torsion bar adjusters will snap off?????

I think the new list of parts is:
- Torsion bars adjusters = ???
- Stock ride height Shocks = 250 ish
- Leaf springs ???
- Idler
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM

I just thought I would post some more pictures of the truck, btw we named her Barbara Streisand

Picture BD - The whole pulley assembly together....the power steering/alternator bracket system thingy is the worst bracket setup I have seen in a longgggggg time

Picture BE - Another shot of the power steering bracket setup

Picture BF - I remember taking this photo and saying, "Why.....do I have 3 brackets haha?" These are the brackets needed to put the alt/power steering bracket jigsaw puzzle together

Here are some great youtube videos for trying to put the brackets back together. I wish the guy had rotated the camera to front view a few times, but I really appreciated finding this online, each video was about 1 minute or less

1st video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhPfTOwguJY

2nd video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbH0dokmCGs

3rd video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHLk...feature=relmfu

4th video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N2G_...feature=relmfu

5th video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OjIQ...feature=relmfu

Picture BG - Tightening the crank bolt down to 116 ft-lb

Picture BH - I used a big flathead screwdriver pressed up against the neck of the front diff to stop the crank from moving while I tightened the crank bolt down. I used the old flywheel bolts

Picture BI - Valve adjustment (did I do this earlier, I can't remember)

Picture BJ - Time to pull the shifter off, for a beer tap to be the new shifter, what a nice donor we are The new owner will love that

Picture BK - Handle offski

Picture BL - Good thing I used this Subway bag to store some bolts, thanks Jeff at Subway for reminding me to Eat Fresh haha

Picture BM -Putting the shifter cover back on...with RTV, I didn't have the gasket so I had to make doooo with what I had

Picture BN - Transmission is up on this niftay hydro tranny jack, man that thing was nice

Picture BO - Remember to wear deodorant (we will need it on the rally!) The new resurfaced flywheel on the engine, cost about $35 not too bad

Picture BP - Put locktight on the those bolts and torque them down to 80 ft-lb
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2...e-specs-67203/

Picture BQ - Lifting the trans after I had it lined up, I just needed the tail end of the trans elevated

Picture BR - Lifting the trans again

Picture BS - Truck as of now

We now have:
- New Front axles
- New Brakes
- Repacked the front bearings
- New Fluids all around the truck
- Spray painted the rear roll bar flat black
- Working on the radio and shifter situation
- We fixed my hammer after the head went flying across the room, using Gorilla Glue of course haha
- New U-joints
- The truck was fired up the other day (when I wasn't around) for the first time since all the work was done, and she runs great. Although it sounded like an airplane for what I understand.....thats probably because the downpipe wasn't installed on the header.

Btw, we are still looking for a new downpipe, let us know if you see one around

Here are some pictures for your enjoyment

Picture BT - The lab

Picture BU - Team Photo, so now you will have a way to identify us if you see us on CNN a few months from now

Last edited by 2012MongolRally; 04-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM

btw we named her Barbara Streisand
Can you make her sing like James Brolin?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Can you make her sing like James Brolin?
Haha, We will see what I can do when I am delirious and heading from London to the Nuerburgring on the first day of the rally.

Btw, did I forget to mention that among checking out some WWII history I'm going to take the truck on the Nuerburgring, lets see what the yota can do for a time around that prestigious track, who knows maybe the Porsches, Ferrais, and Lambos will be doing this number

Who knows, maybe it will be something like this haha, and just to think about a year ago we were about to buy a dump truck and drive the rally, now imagine that

Part 1 from Top Gear on the Track in a Van
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJKQjXpGQA

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Btw SAtruck, when I looked up James Brolin, idk if this is the same guy who was in the classic movie "The Car" but you helped me stumble upon two amazing tressues, "The Car" and "Maximum Overdrive" thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFWea3Eu97E
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM

the classic movie "The Car"
Got it on VHS.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM

Got it on VHS.
Haha, that is awesome SAtruck. Im jealous because now I need to go find me a copy too, but where in the world do I find it.... ohhhhh amazon
Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Haha, We will see what I can do when I am delirious and heading from London to the Nuerburgring on the first day of the rally.

Btw, did I forget to mention that among checking out some WWII history I'm going to take the truck on the Nuerburgring, lets see what the yota can do for a time around that prestigious track, who knows maybe the Porsches, Ferrais, and Lambos will be doing
If you going to Nuerburg, you can do a nice 50 mile circle and hit Battle of the Bulge areas, Hurtgen forest area, Remagen, visit Gen Patton in Luxembourg. etc. You're right in the good stuff. Living my dream.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Thelast83inNJ
If you going to Nuerburg, you can do a nice 50 mile circle and hit Battle of the Bulge areas, Hurtgen forest area, Remagen, visit Gen Patton in Luxembourg. etc. You're right in the good stuff. Living my dream.
You got Thelast83inNJ, the geographical mastermind of our team thinks it would be uber unfortunate to not go to some of the most historic areas, I will make sure to send video and pictures back to you guys at Yota. 89 days till the rally begins!

Btw, your signature quote "Save the planet... kill yourself" we have that for a bumper sticker on the rig haha, great line
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM

Got it on VHS.
Hey SARtruck, I thought you might want to check out the status of the build and btw nabbed me a version of the movie "The Car" as well
Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM

Afternoon Everyone and long time no update, but now I have updates and my 2nd year of grad school is out so now I can keep you guys better posted

Since my last update the following have happened:
- Acquired a Sponsor (helping with the charity donation )
- Installed a new pitman arm and idler arm
- New Shocks have been installed
- New Steering Stabilizer
- Painted a few of the NON-Rusty surfaces (I know some of you guys are still concerned about the health of the truck)
- 4 New FREE BFG All-Terrains
- 4 New American Steel Wheels
- 2 Spare BFG All-Terrains with 55% Tread
- Still need to find a beer tap for the shifter

Picture BV

Picture BW

Picture BX

Picture BY

Picture BZ

Picture CA

Picture CB

Picture CC

Picture CD

Picture CE - Afro Hair is NO-GO with the height of this cab, at least we will still be able to grow a beard

Picture CF - Representing the H-SC

Picture CG - Representing Clemson on the trip too

Youtube Videos to come soon
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Here is a walk around video of the truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-P2kDqn1Vg
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not sure if it would pass ag, but what if i sent you a coconut from hawai'i to bring to mongolia? or if not a coconut, maybe some other random trinkets

Quick Reply: From England to Mongolia in my 1993 Toyota Pickup for the summer of 2012