Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Colorado trip August 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Colorado trip August 2010

We Left Abilene Tx on August 13th and returned on the 29th. Went thru Raton NM up to Colorado Springs over to Leadville down thru Buena vista to Crested Butte for a week then down to Lake City, Ouray, Silverton and Durango
Lots of trails and micro brews... ya gotta love Colorado!

Loaded up near the top of Mosquito Pass

Industrial Carnage on the east side of Mosquito Pass... I am always amazed at the iron that was hauled up these mountains

At the top of Pearl Pass, this is one of the hardest trails we have done in CO but
if you have good equipment I highly recomend this trail!

The Lake above Gothic

Paradise Divide... the esposa and me

NY strips on the coals... we brought a few mesquite logs to cook on.

Awesome views....

Bear paw print

The massacre at Durango... steamworks cajun boil

Backside of Red Mountains taken near corkscrew trail

Dodge cummins 4x4 high centered on side of trail... Old Blue to the rescue!

Last edited by texcat101; 09-28-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You didn't say "hi!"

Looks like you hit some great spots!

Oh, and we're known for our crab here in CO...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ardent
You didn't say "hi!"

Looks like you hit some great spots!

Oh, and we're known for our crab here in CO...
Yea go figure... I drive to CO every year to eat cajun boil at Steamworks... but really its the red beer!

Last edited by texcat101; 10-16-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Important lesson learned with the black bear incident... we had left our friends camp and took thier camp trash with us to dispose the next morning. The bear was sniffing around the condo parking lot that night and clearly could have done some damage... we were lucky.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 AM

more pics

This is the boulder field on the east side of Pearl pass... good times!!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, those are some GREAT shots, man! Really nice rig, too... great rescue with her! lol.

Glad you had fun,

Mark
Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, those are some GREAT shots, man! Really nice rig, too... great rescue with her! lol.

Glad you had fun,

Mark
I love it when you get to pull people out of trouble on the trail... this was the 2nd time in a year that I got to rescue someone. The first time the guy ask if "he could pay me a little something?" I said " ..are you kidding I should pay you... I live for these moments!! " He looked at me like I was crazy at which point my wife chimed in " no really he's not kidding!" She knows me well!
Old 10-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha.... I hear ya. I had an 86 that was pretty much stock but mostly newer stuff on it,(VERY TIGHT and capable suspen. and gearing) and I was up in the Angeles Crest mountains in January at about 9K feet.... this Crew CAb full size Ford 2wd(lifted, etc., etc.) was stuck with his kids, in the snow, in the top spot of the camp ground(It's like a driveway, but DEEPER snow...like 3feet with 12" of powder)...he was not going ANYWHERE, ...literally, lol. There was no where for me to yank on his rig but from the side, rear frame of his truck, and I pulled him RIGHT OUT of being totally dug in, in reverse, while he feathered the reverse gear. My daughters were SO JAZZED, and shouting from the side of the road, "GO DADDY", hahaha. Great experience, and yet, the guy RIGHT OFF, afterwords, started looking over his rig to make sure that the tether didn't yank on his fender or anything, then drove off with a wave..... TYPICAL egomaniac, hahahaa. My girls said, "Daddy, he didn't even really say thanks,...what's up with that? You shouldn't have helped him!", hahaha. I told em, "NO, girls....ALWAYS help someone like you would want to be helped...plus, he had boys, young ladies....you want them to freeze up here? S'ok, I don't need a thank you.... satisfaction enough seeing his disgust that my lil toy pulled his crew cab full size out of the spot he was in! haha". They got it....I loved that truck, as did they, lol.

Had to pull out another guy in my 86 that was this drunken idiot in the Sequoias, near Kern River in CA.... He had driven his 2wd Ranger right into a fire break! DERRRRRRR! We pulled him out, and he kept gassing it when I told him, "JUST LIGHT ON THE PEDAL! You're going to slam into me, stop it!".... He didn't wanna get out, so I had to physically go drag him out and kick his front leg out, just lightly, and he fell right on his rump in the mud, hahaha. YES, he was that drunk, he could barely stand. Well, his disgusted buddy got in and we got his 2.9 prerunner out, and his friends tried to give us like 2 cases of beer and POUNDS of hot dogs and hamburger, because, as they said, "HE'S SUCH AN IDIOT.... we're just grateful you came along, we'd have been stuck up there and him in Jail for DUI, once the forestry FINALLY came along(they've cut back to like one ranger per 100k acres! ) So we wanted to show our thanks." hahaha. I just took a couple burgers and brews and sat down and helped mock him for a lil while, hahaha.

'GOTTA LOVE THESE RIGS!'

MARK
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Like that trail. Should go try out Radical hill and Antero.. Also great rides
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 86bedlesstoy
Like that trail. Should go try out Radical hill and Antero.. Also great rides
Thanks for the advice... we are up there every year and will try to work those trails in asap
Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 PM

More trail pics

Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Great shots! I'm already missing those trails for sure. I recognized most of where you took those pics instantly! I assume you trailored your rig there? That's the only way Tippy will get back to CO. No way would I drive her the 20 hours!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Great shots! I'm already missing those trails for sure. I recognized most of where you took those pics instantly! I assume you trailored your rig there? That's the only way Tippy will get back to CO. No way would I drive her the 20 hours!
I love the trails in Colorado... we have some good ones in Texas but the whole state of Colorado is just one giant trail... AMAZING

I do drive it up every year... last year ('09) I even pulled a pop up camper. The 4.3 swap helped alot... the first 2 years with the 22RE were hard to take with a loaded rig and the auto tranny but I have plenty of power now :-)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Are you from that area as well and live in clear lake now? I live right over in Kemah. Im from Durango.

Originally Posted by texcat101
I love the trails in Colorado... we have some good ones in Texas but the whole state of Colorado is just one giant trail... AMAZING

I do drive it up every year... last year ('09) I even pulled a pop up camper. The 4.3 swap helped alot... the first 2 years with the 22RE were hard to take with a loaded rig and the auto tranny but I have plenty of power now :-)
Sorry to bump an old thread, but these pics are making me so homesick. I grew up 30 miles north of durango on lime creek road just north of purgatory. I learned how to ride motorcycles and drive offroad on all the passes behind silverton.

cheers man.